This is what happened when my love of sweet potatoes met my love of nachos… a delicious plant-on-plant combination, that’s satisfying, protein-packed, tasty and very sharable.
As sweet potatoes and quinoa featured heavily in my recent cooking workshop, I thought it would be nice to share another family favourite with a wider audience while dedicating it officially to the lovely course participants (thank you, guys!) who may well have some sweet potatoes and quinoa leftover.
I hope you’ve had a wonderful week so far and that you’ll enjoy this dish if you try it! Oh, and here’s a link to the recipe video on Instagram if you want to cook along with me (at super speed 😀 ).
❤ Marisa xx
SWEET POTATO NACHOS
WITH QUINOA BEAN MINCE
Makes: 2-4 portions depending on hunger level
6-8 sweet potatoes (I recommend 2-3 per person)
2-3 tbsp olive (or coconut) oil
1 packet organic crushed tomatoes (around 390 g)
460 g black beans (2 tins), rinsed
2 roasted red bell peppers/capsicums chopped
4-6 sundried tomatoes finely chopped
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
200 ml quinoa, cooked in vegetable stock
A pinch of coconut sugar (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
TOPPINGS & OPTIONAL EXTRAS
Dairy-free cheese (or cheese of choice)
Fresh herbs (cilantro/coriander or parsley)
- Preheat your oven to 200-215°C. All ovens are calibrated a little differently, and if yours has known hot spots, opt for a lower temperature. Line a baking tray with foil or baking parchment.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes (into discs of a thickness of approximately 1/2 a centimeter). Pop slices into a bowl and drizzle over oil. Toss to coat evenly.
- Lay the slices out flat and ensure they do not overlap. Pop the tray in the oven and bake the slices for around 20 minutes, checking after the first 10 minutes to see if you need to turn the oven down a touch.
- Add all mince ingredients to a large frying/skillet pan and simmer on low-medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When sweet potato slices are done, arrange them on a plate as you would corn chips and top with quinoa and bean mince and additions of your choice. Serve immediately.
*The mince can be made well in advance and even frozen for later use. Will keep for a week in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer.