Short on time? I empathise! So here’s a short post and a quick recipe.
Yes, I am back with another pizzetta variation. And once again the recipe title probably suggests this isn’t pizza in any traditional sense. But if you’re on the search for something tasty, simple and a little different, why not give it a go? I first made these last year along with a couple of other oat bread “pizzettas” (basically because we had oat bread that required usage!), and by far this recipe was the one most enquired about. So for those who asked, I am happy to oblige… albeit in a rather belated fashion.
Varsågod, as we say in Sweden!
And glad nationaldag to all my Swedish friends and relatives who had a lovely day of sunshine to enjoy on this public holiday!
PS If you happen to use the same brand of oat bread I did, it comes in triangles. Ready-made pizza slices, in other words! 😀
POTATO & RED PESTO PIZZETTAS WITH ROCKET
6 tablespoons red pesto
8 Swedish oat bread triangles (or 4 medium-sized flat breads)
4 new potatoes, parboiled (peeled if you like)
A pinch of dried rosemary
A pinch of thyme
Organic olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
A couple of handfuls of fresh rocket/arugula
150 g marinated sun-dried tomato halves in oil* (approx. 24)
90 ml oil reserved from jar*
A handful of basil leaves
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
30 g pine nuts (approx. 5 tbsp)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp white/red wine vinegar
DIRECTIONS FOR PESTO
Blitz all ingredients in a small food processor until desired consistency is reached.
*If not using sun-dried tomatoes in oil:
Cover 24 sun-dried tomato halves with boiling water in a medium-sized bowl and let soak for around 20 minutes. Replace garlic powder with 2-3 cloves chopped fresh garlic and add 100 ml olive oil plus salt to taste to the mix with all the other ingredients listed above. Blitz all ingredients in a small food processor until desired consistency is reached.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (fan).
- Spread pesto evenly over bread of choice.
- Slice the potatoes ¼ cm thick and lay them on top of the pesto. With a silicon brush, coat the potato slices lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a little rosemary and thyme.
- Cook in the oven until the potatoes have started to brown and crisp at the edges and appear fully cooked through (if sliced very thin, they will have a translucent quality).
- Remove from oven, scatter over fresh rocket, squeeze over a little lemon juice and serve.