I received many requests for this recipe when I first shared these crackers on Instagram, but I had to secure the go-ahead from my mother-in-law before sharing. Well, just in time for Swedish midsummer picnic time, here it is… and I promise that you will not regret giving this recipe a go!
A few years ago, my in-laws surprised us by completing a 100% plant-based detox program. Despite eating a rather prototypical Swedish diet prior to the detox, they managed without dairy, meat, sugar and alcohol for a period of 40 days (if I remember correctly), and medical tests afterwards showed a marked improvement to their health.
These crackers (fröbröd, or “seed bread”, as they called it) were their favoured bread substitute during that time. In fact, this recipe was so beloved that it became a go-to, and we have all enjoyed these crackers since. My mother-in-law was kind enough to share the recipe with me… and I hope you will now enjoy them just as much as we do!
Glad midsommar, Swedish friends!
❤ MM xx
HOMEMADE MULTI-SEED CRACKERS
Makes 2 trays
300 ml organic cornmeal
150 ml organic linseeds
150 ml organic sesame seeds
150 ml organic pumpkin seeds
150 ml organic sunflower seeds
375 ml boiling water
75 ml organic olive/rapeseed/other plant-based oil
A sprinkling of flaked sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 150°C.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Pour the oil and water over the mix. Stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture out as evenly as possible over two baking paper-lined trays.
- Using a sharp knife, create cuts both horizontally and vertically to create rectangular cracker shapes (once baked, they will break apart along the guidelines).
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes over the unbaked crackers.
- Bake each tray for 55 minutes.
- The baked crackers are best eaten after cooling and can be stored in an airtight container for at least 3 days (or even frozen for later use).
*I have also used a round cookie cutter to make circular crackers. This is more time-consuming than my mother-in-law’s way, but is a nice idea for different presentation.