It’s hard to believe that it’s been almost two and a half years since I first (and last) posted a “nice cream” recipe here. For the uninitiated, nice cream is essentially an ice-cream textured treat based upon the use of one humble ingredient; frozen bananas. And, despite the ease of preparation, the deliciousness and the fact that no nasties are added to it, it is something I make very rarely.
As the weather here declines into subzero awfulness, I find myself missing “home” and becoming nostalgic about the things of my childhood in Australia… like warm weather… and enjoying ice-cream in warm weather. And I don’t do white chocolate these days, but as a child I used to love the old Cadbury Top Deck combo of white and milk chocolate.
So here is my healthified version of Top Deck… in nice cream form. It’s a kind of homage to my childhood. And it’s got cookie dough morsels for extra yum factor. (Well, actually vegan protein bar, but you wouldn’t know it. I promise!)
No word of a lie, this is one of the yummiest treats I have made this year. And it is so easy to make!
❤ MM xx
PS I have it on good authority that L, Cupcake and “Baby Marzipan” all heartily approve this treat 😉
TOP DECK COOKIE DOUGH NICE CREAM
Serves 2-4 (depending on how generous you like to be with others)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ICE-CREAM BASE
3 bananas (sliced and frozen)
3 tbsp almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE HALF THE MIX CHOCOLATE
1.5 tbsp cacao
1/2 a Chocolate Coated Coconut Squarebar*, broken into a couple of chunks
1/2 a Chocolate Coated Coconut Squarebar*, chopped into pieces
Raw cacao nibs
- In your food processor (I used a Thermomix, on speed 7), blend the frozen bananas, almond milk and vanilla extract until you have reached a smooth, ice-creamy consistency**
- Scoop half of the banana ice-cream mix into a bowl and pop it in the freezer for a minute to keep cold while you get on with the chocolate layer.
- Add the cacao and the remaining 1/2 a Squarebar* to the mix and whizz until just combined. You want some chunks of Squarebar in the mix. It will give that fabulous cookie dough texture that’s superb in ice-cream !
- Then all you need to do is layer the nice cream in a glass/jar, the bottom half being chocolate and the top half being the banana vanilla (or mock white chocolate 😉 ).
- Top with Squarebar* pieces and cacao nibs and serve immediately.
*Or vegan chocolate raw/protein bar of choice.
**In a Thermomix it can take around 20 seconds, and you may need to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula once or twice.