Before I get to the recipe for these yummy buns, I will share both a sneak preview of the buns themselves and my news… simultaneously (two birds, and all of that!).
I hope this goes some way to simply explain the reason why I have not been so active in the blogosphere recently. Thankfully the pregnancy nausea of the first trimester has abated, and I am starting to experience occasional periods of “normal” energy levels. But still, growing another hub, taking care of two little ones and working part-time is certainly keeping me occupied 😛 .
At least I can start making yummy treats like these again (now that I am not feeling unwell 24/7)… you know, treats to keep my energy levels up 😉 …
VEGAN SPICED BUNS
(with orange zest & nuts)
Makes: 10-12 buns
350 g strong plain flour
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
.5 tsp ground nutmeg
.5 tsp ground cardamom
1 pinch ground clove
1 sachet dry yeast (15 g)
25 g caster sugar
75 g chopped mixed nuts (I used pecans and silvered almonds)
25 g dehydrated/candied orange zest/peel, chopped
75 g vegan butter, melted
175 ml oat milk, gently warmed
- In a large bowl, combine flour, spices, yeast, sugar, orange zest/peel and chopped nuts.
- Make a well in the centre and add the melted vegan butter and most of the warmed oat milk.
- Mix until a dough is formed, and if it is too dry, add more milk, a dash at a time.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface, kneading for approximately 10 minutes.
- Place dough into a large, lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place to double in size. This should take 1-2 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knock it back and knead again for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 10-12 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place each ball on a baking paper-lined tray and leave to rise for a further 30 mins.
- Bake at 180 C (fan) for around 20 minutes or until buns are turning golden.
*Recipe closely adapted from this one for hot cross buns, by The Vegetarian Society.
*Once cooled, these buns can be frozen (in an airtight container or ziplock back) for later defrosting/warming through and consumption.