You will need to trust me on this one. These toasties are simply delicious; a perfect balance of savoury and sweet, crunchy and creamy… with touch of zingy, refreshing sourness, a little earthy nuttiness and a subtle kick of heat.
Do try this at home.
NECTARINE & AVOCADO TOASTIES
(with almonds, feta & chili flakes)
2 slices of sourdough bread (or plain bread of choice)
1 ripe avocado
1/2 a ripe nectarine
1/2 a lime (enough for a good squeeze of lime juice)
60 ml crumbled feta (or vegan feta: try homemade almond feta or store-bought tofu/nut-based)
1/2- 1 tsp poppy seeds
A pinch or two of dried chili flakes
A couple of tablespoons of slivered almonds
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Unsweetened lingonberry powder* (optional)
Olive oil to drizzle over
- Line a baking tray with foil or baking parchment. Place the bread slices on the lined tray.
- Slice the nectarine half into 10-12 slices.
Scoop the avocado into a bowl, add a squeeze of lime and smash it up roughly with a fork.
- Spread the avocado over both slices of bread. Sprinkle over the poppy seeds, then the crumbled feta and almonds. Place the nectarine slices on top and sprinkle with chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper if you wish
- Pop the tray under the grill for a couple of minutes, watching to make sure that bread is toasted but nothing burns (we’ve all been there, I am sure 😛 ).
- Remove from grill and sprinkle sparingly with a little lingonberry powder* (if desired) and drizzle over a small amount of olive oil. Serve immediately.
*I used Finnberry Lingonberry Powder
**I was first introduced to the fruit + avocado combo by I Quit Sugar (their strawberry avocado toasties rock!) and I have been a more adventurous eater ever since!