I am calling these cupcakes “magic” simply because I cannot believe that something lacking in gluten, lactose/dairy AND refined sugar can be so perfect. Unlike some of my super-talented friends out there (Live Blissful, Fork and Beans and No Naughties, to drop just a few names) I am rather unaccustomed to modifying recipes for sweet treats with specific dietary requirements or food allergies in mind. I always try to use organic ingredients and, as you can see if you take a look around my blog, I love vegetarian food… but gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free cupcakes with vegan buttercream frosting? Well, that was simply beyond my realm of experience… up until a week before my blessingway. I was proud to present these to my guests and they received such a lovely response, particularly from my gluten-intolerant friend who has often had to miss out on “the goodies”, but didn’t at my event🙂.
MAGIC VANILLA CUPCAKES WITH COCONUT FLOUR
Makes: 12 standard cupcakes
1.2 dl of organic coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
4 organic, free range eggs
0.8 dl of oil
1.2 dl raw organic agave syrup
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Seeds from a vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Combine all dry ingredients (leaving vanilla pod seeds until later) and blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a mixer to blend (get rid of any clumps of flour). Add the vanilla seeds and blend well.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way with batter.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool and then frost.
*May be stored covered for a few days at room temperature, or the refrigerator for at least a week.
*Do not freeze! I tried this with a couple just as a test and the texture really changed. They were still edible but had a grittiness that was unappealing.
*Recipe closely adapted from this fabulous one from comfybelly.com
VEGAN VANILLA FROSTING
120 g nonhydrogenated shortening
120 g nonhydrogenated margarine
350 g powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and beat for another 5 minutes until fluffy.
*Recipe closely adapted from this fabulous one originally from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World , by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
*This frosting keeps well in the fridge and can be frozen too!
*For a coconut version of this frosting simply add 1/2- 1 dl dessicated coconut. See this post for more info!
*For DIY instructions for fondant cupcake decorations, see this post.