For well over a year I have had one can of pumpkin purée in my pantry; one sad, lonely can, grabbed on a whim from the “American shelf” at the supermarket. I really don’t know what I intended to do with it when I bought it, but I am assuming pie factored into the equation. In any case, a huge surplus of walnuts, 5 over-ripe bananas and my one can of pumpkin combined with the approach of my Thanksgiving for Dummies event, prompted me to jump on Pinterest and search out some pumpkin/banana-y inspiration. I came across some amazing looking pins, one of which led me right back here to WordPress, the amazing blog NancyCreative (one of my favourites already!) and Nancy’s recipe for Pumpkin Banana Bread with Pumpkin Glaze. As I had made Honey Butter with Cinnamon already, I decided to skip the glaze (call me crazy, I know… it looks amazing!). I also added lots of walnuts and a homemade Pumpkin Spice Mix (see end of this post for recipe). This bread smells as good as it tastes… which is simply AMAZING! Serve warm with as much honey butter as your taste-buds/conscience will allow 😉
Happy Thanksgiving to friends in other places who are celebrating today!
PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD
9.5 dl all-purpose flour (I used unbleached flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tbsp homemade pumpkin spice mix
1 teaspoon salt
4 dl/1 can pumpkin purée
3.5 dl (approx. 4) ripe, mashed bananas
3 dl vanilla yogurt
1.5 dl vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1.8 dl castor sugar
1.8 dl packed brown sugar
2.5 dl chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 175C. Grease and flour two 23 x 13-centimeter loaf pans.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice mix and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix pumpkin, mashed bananas, yogurt, oil, eggs, sugar, and brown sugar until well-combined and smooth. Add half the flour mixture and combine. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix well. Fold in walnuts.
- Divide batter between the two loaf pans and bake at 175C for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let the loaves cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pans, then remove from pans.
- Serve individual slices warm and spread with honey butter. Divine!
PUMPKIN SPICE MIX
Makes 2 tbsp
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground allspice
Mix spices together and store in airtight container or add to your recipe. Easy!