If you’ve ever come across a recipe for a “mug cake” and wondered if they really are too good to be true, wonder no more! Mug cakes are fabulous, fast, so easy you’ll be able to commit the recipe to memory and, most importantly for dessert lovers, utterly delicious! I promise you that a quicker, easier cake recipe will be near impossible to find!
HOT CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
Prep Time: 2 Min, Cook Time: 1-1.5 Min (yes, you read that right!)
8 tbsp plain flour
8 tbsp caster sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
7 tbsp milk
7 tbsp vegetable oil
A little vanilla extract (.5 tsp or so)
4 mugs for cooking/serving in
* Increase/decrease amount of ingredients depending upon the size of your company. This suggestion serves 4 people.
- Combine all ingredients in a pouring jug. Whisk well with a fork until smooth.
- If serving 4, pour a quarter of the batter into each mug. Microwave each mug one at a time on high for about 1 minute.
- Open microwave door and, leaving mug in microwave, sprinkle a few mini marshmallows on top, then continue to cook immediately for an additional 20-30 seconds (every microwave is different, but a total cook time of 1 minute and 20 seconds is perfect with mine).
- Cool for a few minutes before eating warm… and by all means serve with a dollop of cream or ice cream.
* The marshmallows are entirely optional, but I love the cuteness of the cake looking like a mug of hot chocolate!
* This recipe adapted from one by Kirbie. I am sure there is a way to “veganise” this recipe. Stay tuned vegan friends… I will experiment!