Traditional Christmas celebrations in Northern Europe, aside from being charming and cosy, are a decidedly stodgy affair. The weather calls for it. This year will be no different, but I hope that I will be a little different (in the old health department, that is). I should stress that I work out 5-6 times per week, which sounds like a whole lot of training, but some “sessions” are only 15 minutes. I take it pretty easy on myself… and I also have to make time for a 7 month old baby, so short, sharp work-outs are all I can manage without an extra pair of hands to help out during the day. Consistency is not a problem for me. Having said that (and knowing that I am in store for more crazy feasting of the traditional Christmas variety this time around), I am extra-motivated to be in top shape prior to the aptly-named “silly season” this year.
I HAVE SOME GOALS:
- To be able to run 30 minutes on the treadmill (I have done this once only since my baby was born)
- To do yoga/pilates once a week (this does not include the mama/baby yoga that I do with my little one)
- To cut back on caffeine (with a view to cutting it out… although, to be quite honest this one scares the bejeezus out of me at the moment!)
- To cut back on sugar (this too scares the bejeezus out of me!)
- To progress through as many levels as possible of the vibration training programs (currently on “Advanced”, week 5)
- To say farewell to the last kilos of post-baby weight
- To have a range of beauty services done; haircut, facials, the whole shebang! (Yes, I love DIY, but I also like to outsource occasionally! And besides, I have purchased these services via Groupon… and that means BIG savings.)
- To make some time in my day for meditation/affirmations/relaxation (I was doing this throughout my pregnancy and it was great!)
- To drink lots of water (more than “usual”)
- To be as healthy, happy and relaxed as possible come mid-December
So, anyhoo… I am off to a not-so-amazing start, if I judge my progress by last week’s baking frenzy (see double-crust pastry apple pie and white chocolate-filled chocolate cupcakes), but today I aim to redeem myself with homemade fried (yes, I know… fried!) rice with extra veggies and salad, some vibration training (approx. 15 minutes), a 1 hour Zumba class and fruit for dessert. Let the quest begin!