Autumn. Apple pie. Perfection. Need I say more?
Prep Time: 30 Min, Cook Time: 60 Min
1 quantity of pastry for a 9 inch double-crust pie
115 g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
60 ml water
100 g white sugar
110 g packed brown sugar
7-8 peeled, cored and sliced Granny Smith apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1 pinch of ground cardamom
1 pinch of ground clove
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Place the bottom crust in your pie dish. Fill with apples.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, spices, white sugar and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the apple filling, reserving a little for the crust. Cover pie with a lattice-work crust. Brush over remaining liquid (with a little added water well mixed in if needed).
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 175 degrees C. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft and crust is gorgeously golden brown.