Peanutty, chocolaty, gooey, comforting, surprisingly healthy (if that matters to you), arguably-better-than-Snickers breakfast deliciousness! This recipe was the result of serious pregnancy cravings for chocolate/peanuts/oats, combined with a need to use up some quinoa flakes. Don’t you just love a craving-meets-food-waste-fix combo?
A perfect weekend breakfast treat for two, if you feel like sharing with someone special… or you can indulge a little yourself (on both Saturday and Sunday 😉 ).
❤ MM xx
“SNICKERS” BAKED QUINOA PORRIDGE
100 ml quinoa flakes
150 ml oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cacao
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tbsp peanuts (can be salted)
150 ml (1 small-medium) ripe banana, mashed
200 ml almond milk
1-2 tbsp peanut butter (I used Fitnessguru)
1 -2 tbsp maple syrup/rice malt syrup (optional)
1 peanut butter Squarebar (or chocolate/peanut protein bar of choice), chopped
Slices of banana to top the porridge (optional)
1-2 tsp melted coconut oil for greasing dish and brushing banana slices (if using extra banana)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan) and lightly grease 2 ramekins or one small pie dish with a little melted coconut oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix oats, quinoa flakes, spices, baking powder and half the peanuts (chopped if you prefer).
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine well.
- Add half of the Squarebar chunks to the mix. Spoon the porridge mix into dish/ramekins.
- Top porridge with remaining Squarebar pieces and banana slices brushed with coconut oil if you like.
- Bake porridge in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for around 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts and serve doused with almond milk or topped with coconut whipped cream/yogurt and raw chocolate sauce, if you like.
*If you don’t have quinoa flakes on hand, substitute them for more oats of an equal amount.