Love banoffee pie? Love waffles? Feel like an indulgent, utterly delicious treat sans refined sugar/eggs/gluten/dairy?
These are probably my favourite plant-based waffles, hence featuring them for my daughter’s 2nd birthday party “waffle bar” last year!
Yes, this post is THAT belated… it’s her 3rd birthday today!
So, in honour of this special day and in dedication to my sweet little Cupcake, I wanted to share this recipe with all of you.
And the timing couldn’t be better for those of you who like to celebrate Shrove Tuesday with a customary pancake stack; these yummy waffles can translate to pancakes quite easily for those who don’t own a waffle iron. 🙂
❤ MM xx
BANOFFEE PIE WAFFLES WITH RAW TOFFEE SAUCE
(vegan, low-sweetener & gluten-free)
Makes: 6 waffles | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time 30 mins
INGREDIENTS FOR RAW TOFFEE SAUCE
12 medjool dates
175 ml warm water
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp maca powder
20 ml coconut oil
1/2 tsp lemon juice
pinch or 2 of salt (according to taste)
DIRECTIONS FOR RAW TOFFEE SAUCE
- Place all other ingredients in a high-powered blender, bullet or small food processor and process on high speed until sauce is completely smooth and creamy. For a “thinner” version, add a touch more water before blending again.
*I have used a very efficient blender to create this, but if you want to be sure your dates will process smoothly, soak them in warm water first (for at least an hour).
**The toffee sauce will keep in the fridge for a few days.
INGREDIENTS FOR WAFFLES
50 ml water
1 tbsp chia seeds
95 g gluten-free oats
420 ml almond milk (or “mylk” of choice)
125 g gluten-free plain flour blend
30 ml coconut oil, melted
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp maca powder
1 tbsp rice malt syrup (or maple)
1/4 of a banana, mashed (the rest reserved for topping)
A pinch of salt
ADDITIONAL WAFFLE TOPPINGS
1 large square dark dairy-free chocolate (such as Lindt 85%/90%), finely grated
Remaining 3/4 banana, sliced
Whipped coconut cream
Pecan nuts, roughly chopped (gently pan toasted, if you prefer)
Vegan ice-cream (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR WAFFLES
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Combine chia seeds and water together in a small bowl to make a “chia egg”.
- In another small bowl combine mashed banana and rice malt syrup.
- Pulse oats in food processor to create oat flour.
- Add “chia egg”, almond milk, gluten-free plain flour, coconut oil, baking powder, vanilla powder, maca powder and salt to oat flour; blend until batter is just mixed. Add banana mix and stir through.
- Ladle batter into preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
*Waffle irons vary in size and design, so you may want to make a test waffle to ensure the volume of batter you use to make each one is correct. To produce 1 waffle in my waffle iron, I used approximately 120 ml of batter.
**If making a pancake version, you may want to experiment a little with the amount of almond milk you use to achieve a batter consistency that works for you.
***IQS peeps, the toffee sauce is not IQS-friendly (on account of the dates), but if you swap it for an IQS-style chocolate fudge sauce or berry compote, you should be good to go!