If you’ve read my last couple of posts, you need not wonder why I wanted to get stuck into some wholesome, healthy vegan food today! Not only did my husband and I prepare this River Cottage-inspired recipe for dinner, but for lunch we revisited an old family favourite- Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup. Operation Compensation in full-effect!
NORTH AFRICAN SQUASH & CHICKPEA STEW
Prep Time: 15 Min, Cook Time: 45 Min, Serves: 6
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 large, diced onion
2 finely chopped garlic clove
1 finely diced celery stalk
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
100 g red lentils
400 g rinsed chickpeas (canned)
A pinch of dried, crushed saffron
600 ml passata
400 g squash or pumpkin
A handful of roughly chopped parsley
1.5 l organic vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
50 g risoni
To serve: dates (optional)
- Sauté onions in oil until they are just starting to turn golden.
- Turn the heat down to a medium-low and add the garlic, celery, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils, chickpeas, saffron, passata, parsley and cook on a low heat for fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and de-seed the squash and cut into large cubes. Add to the pot with the stock and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for about half an hour.
- Add the risoni and simmer, lid off, until everything is cooked and the sauce is thickening.
- Season and serve.
*Adapted from River Cottage Veg Everyday! by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall